Cam follower roller bearings are specifically designed to follow cams or tracks on a wide range of linear motion systems. They can be used on conveyors and process transfer lines in many different industries including packaging, food processing, power generation, recreation, automation, transportation, wastewater treatment, metal processing, and more.
Download our FREE eBook: The Art of Precision Bearing - Handling Mounting, and Technical Guide to Precision Bearings
The distinctive characteristic of cam followers are attributed to how they mount to their counterparts. Common examples include stud style, which fittingly use a stud to mount to their mating part, while yoke style have a hole through the middle.
Cam followers are precision machined, which provides a great deal of benefits over alternative technologies. Some advantages include a reduction in noise, low rolling resistance, vibration damping and shock absorbing properties, the ability to carry axial loads, and the option of corrosion resistance. Here’s a closer look at some more components and advantages:
- No Need for Lubrication: Because they are precision machined, they require relubrication only once in the entirety of their shelf life. Once they are regreased, they are greased for life. This ensures a well operating product, reduces the amount of maintenance time and money required, and minimizes the risk of overgreasing and bearing failure.
- Noise Reducing: Depending on how precisely they are able to be manufactured, the noise level of the machinery can be reduced by as many as 10 decibels. The more accurately it is made, the more it contributes to a smoother, better and overall quieter operation.
- No Rail Damage: As you know, cam followers follow cams, or machine elements with curved or grooved outlines. But rail wear has the potential to be a serious issue. However, they can be made to run directly in a rail without causing any wear or damage. It’s worth noting that there are exceptions where the rails may need to be hard coated – specifically when it comes to higher loads – to avoid rail wear.
- Vibration Damping & Shock Absorbing Properties: Based on the material of the cam follower, it may dampen shock and vibration. Sound waves are also insulated in many cases, which further reduces the noise that is emitted.
- Corrosion Resistant Types are Available: Not every environment is the same, and when it comes to extreme environments, you need more apt products and components to stand up to the conditions.
- Other benefits include long lifecycles, both standard and custom sizes, the availability of a low weight option, and axial load carrying capabilities.
Check out some of our products below to get more information!